Wednesday 10 March 2010

Downs and Ups

Been feeling rough for a couple of days, so as I felt brighter this morning I decided to have a ride out to look at/for the Black Brant/s at Spurn. Found the group easily and started to rake through them. Many different variations in plumage, some very pale pale-bellied and some very dark dark-bellied. I'd refreshed my memory regarding key field marks, having looked at various photos of "classics", plus the photos on the Spurn website. Alas, I couldn't convince myself that I was looking at a Black Brant in this group. Neither could the other 4 lads who joined me. Maybe I really am a Duffbirder!
Nearly back home (knackered again!) when the message box informed me of a report of 2 Glaucous Gulls at Market Weighton tip, very handy. First two large gulls viewed through scope!!!
Things got even better as another beep told me of a Little Egret at Bank Island. Correct!
Unlucky morning...VERY lucky afternoon!

1 comment:

Phil Slade said...

Any luck with your pictures yet Alan? I do look you know.