Saturday 27 November 2010

Glorious morning down the Carrs

Wanted to make the most of the morning at the start of my winter local birding but struggled to rise after a tough week so it was 9ish when I stumbled out of the car. Inspiration was instantaneous with the sun out and a sprinkling of snow...plus lots of birds!!


Great start with a Marsh Harrier cruising high North...my first November record!! Sign of the times?


Walked up the east bank from Bubwith. I could see a group of Whoopers on the river but didn't want to disturb them so I walked below the flood bank. When I thought I was about level, I scrambled up the bank (much to the amusement of a couple walking their dogs!) and fired off a few shots.


Unfortunately they spotted me and flew up river


Other highlights were 2 Peregrines, c30 Snipe plus decent numbers of Wigeon (c500) and Teal (c300) and 100's of Greylag and Canada Geese...noise and numbers = atmosphere! Finished off back at Geoff Smith hide as more Whoopers dropped in on the river. At least 50 present when I left...great stuff!

No comments: