Monday 20 December 2010

At last - WAXWINGS!

Obviously unable to connect during the week due to work and no luck at weekends I decided it was time I cheated a bit and got some help. I had seen a few posts on Birdforum regarding a fairly stable group in Swillington on Primrose Hill Close . I decided to drive over this morning. Minus 9 when I got in the car but a beautiful crisp, clear morning with perfect light. I found the spot easily and parked up. I couldn't see any birders so I walked up the close to see if I could see anything. Right at the top of the close I saw the familiar silhouette of WAXWINGS. I sneaked over and managed to fire off a few shots...




NEVER get tired of these birds, they are simply stunning and the great thing is they can turn up anywhere. I even had some in my garden at Wilberfoss many moons ago.

Spent the last hour down Duff, it was a bit fresh in the hide but watching 35 Whoopers (10 immatures) coming in off the farm to land on the river was pretty special...


Finished off with a Barn Owl fly-past!


A Great Day...

No comments: