Sunday 19 December 2010

Northern Harrier - acting on impulse!

Woke up early around 7.30. Weighed up the situation. Louise under the weather and wanting to stay in, yours truly stir crazy with the short days and weather. Solution...go and see a rare bird! Weather forecast came good and traffic was light (obviously due to grim reports). Arrived at Thornham around 11. Tried a few minor roads and could see the marsh but decided to go on to Titchwell (for a sentimental return visit) as it had also been seen well here ...got to be at least 10 years since my last visit.
Had a mooch around then an update on the pager made me return to Thornham harbour. Joined a group of birders who informed me it had just shown well. Most of them then drifted away leaving just two of us. Eventually I was on my own getting colder by the minute in a drawing wind. Then...there it was! I picked it up over the marsh and it performed well although quite distant. It does have a dodgy leg!


Record shot - please click!

Also enjoyed great views of thousands of Pinkfeet and a rarity now around my neck of the woods...Grey Partridge!

No comments: