Monday 6 June 2011

Better late than never!

Well, what can I say! Last nights post was as much to lift my own spirits before the summer doldrums kick in. Anything further is going to sound to smug! Suffice to say that the 6th June will now always be considered a red letter day. I even got a text of Haydn telling me he made the trip for the Mamora's last year on the 6th!

Never in my wildest dreams would I have called this Species...who would!

My story

I was just making my way to lesson 1 when I received a text from Haydn saying "it's arrived". I was puzzled as I'd read the message about the Red-flanked Bluetail only minutes before? Had something else arrived? A quick look at the magic box revealed the truth...Oh dear I said.

Fast forward to this evening. I joined the troops surrounding the bowling green and waited...and waited. After around 45 minutes I noticed a "movement". I decided to follow, just to see. I ended up down the bottom of the street, as I turned the corner I say an amazing sight! There were 4 vans pulled up close to the high wall (c15 feet) of the Doctors Garden. The roofs of all the vans were covered with birders looking over the wall. The footpath was quite wide (fortunately) and the rush hour traffic was enjoying the entertainment!

Viewing was still difficult due to the trees lining the wall, but people were starting to connect, slowly but surely. The mood was excellent with birders helping each other on and off the van roofs. Obviously, we all owe a great deal to the van owners...I offered "mine" a tenner which he declined to accept...thanks pal. I really was a unique situation...hilarious! The things we do to see a bird!!

Recent pager messages have added ladders to the scenario. Full marks to the re-finder whoever it was. Hopefully everyone will go home happy. This twitch, like the Alder Fly' on Blakeney Point and the Rufous Turtle Dove at Chipping Norton brings out the best in birders. Great to see!

So, that's it. The spring wasn't a washout after all. Just what the Doctor ordered...sorry, couldn't resist!

British List 473 (added to Bubo)...strictly BOU of course!

Just found this...

2 comments:

Cleck Birder said...

Sounds like you enjoyed this one mate. Bit too busy for me but it was well worth putting up with the crowds.

Alan Whitehead said...

Prefer a more tranquil setting myself Joel...but it was always going to be lively. Glad you connected pal!