Monday 12 March 2012

A good day...bird, NOT weather wise!

A few things to sort out at Holmpton so I stayed over today to sort them out. Things looked better by 11ish so I decided to have a look around locally.

Things started very well, even allowing for the thick mist which never cleared all day and kept the temperature down to 10c. I set off for Spurn and as I passed the derelict outbuildings at Model Farm, Out Newton, I noticed a lump on a telegraph pole...


Next it was Long Bank. Buddy's settling down now, (that's to convince myself more than anyone else) so the short hop to Beacon Ponds is now, less challenging but slower!

As I (eventually) reached the Flood Bank wall I had a quick scan with the bins...BINGO!

2 AVOCETS....a Spurn Area LIFER and a great addition to the fledgling PATCH list to boot. As I was setting my 'scope up to have a sit on the wall for a while I noticed a Short-eared owl flying low along the beach. It made it's way around to Long Bank and I managed this shot...


When I scanned the ponds again the Avocets had gone!
No sign of the 4 Scaup that had been present for quite a while. On the way back to the car I had another (paler) SEO.

Had lunch down at Sammy's Point. Interesting location for Collared Doves...


No sign of the hoped for Wheatears, Ring Ouzels etc

Finished off at the Sewage Works between Holmpton and Withernsea where I met Phil yesterday. We couldn't find any Snow Bunts and it didn't look promising as I scanned the area with my scope.
I'd just about given up...


Over to Duff early tomorrow to collect my letter for my appointment date!? Going to give it a "Big Sit" in the hide, hoping as always for a few good birds and maybe a migrant...

No comments: