Monday 26 March 2012

Local Reccy

Out with Phil Jones from Withernsea today as Louise is commuting this week. He kindly agreed to drive me around some local sites. We started at Hilston where he showed me a promising area with a pond and surrounding marsh. As we got out of the car I spotted a 2w Glaucous Gull flying along the clifftop, probably the same bird I saw at Tunstall previously. He also told me a possible Cattle Egret had been reported there last year!
We then moved on to the cliff top were we did a seawatch for a while. We saw a few of the usual suspects but the highlights came in the form of 3 Great Crested Grebes and then 10 Whooper Swans that appeared from nowhere and landed on the sea...

Yellow bills not apparent!
We checked out a few more sights in the car then had lunch in Withernsea. Then we went to Out Newton to look for the Little Owl but no joy. On then to Spurn were we visited the Canal Scrape hide hoping for the Bittern. After about 30 minutes it showed. My 210 for Spurn...

Photo courtesy of Phil Jones
Phil then drove me back to Holmpton as I needed to take Bud out. I drove him down to the cliff and had a scan. I was really chuffed with my Avocet sighting, not so chuffed when I saw another one on the sea! Only kidding. It was weird to see it on the sea...


Also added a Teal (58) and Great Crested Grebe (59) to my Holmpton list.

A Good Day...

No comments: