Thursday 19 April 2012

Confusion

...over times yesterday. Just had a peep. Sleep deprivation and anaesthetic my excuse!

Anyway I've got internet access and I'm not going anywhere soon, so I thought I'd write a few Blog posts on other topics. Hope you find some of it interesting...

There are a few things left over from our summer holiday to the States that I'd like to share on the Blog, if only to record for posterity.

Battle of the Little Big Horn

Charles Marion Russell - The Custer Fight (1903).jpg
"The Custer Fight" by Charles Marion Russell

Being a child of the 60's I grew up in the era of Western films (which I still love). A famous battle has remained in my memory, and when I realised the site was in reach, it just had to be visited. The ranger that gave the graphic account to us was brilliant. A retired History teacher who made you feel you were almost THERE!

Custer was a brave man and a veteran of the Civil War (which also fascinates me). However his bravery spilled over into recklessness and he underestimated both his position and the strength of the Native Indians led by Sitting Bull and the legendary Crazy Horse. This resulted in himself and his men becoming cut-off from the other Regiments and ending up tragically on "last stand hill".


It was a moving experience to actually visit the site having watched the film(s) as a young boy. This probably being the most famous.

So here I am...


Reflections
                 Moving, fascinating but in no way glamorous. Just an inevitable consequence of a young country being developed. The native people always get a rough deal...

Belated Indian tribute

"Custer was genuinely sympathetic towards the Indians plight, and opposed the Grant Administration's Indian policy. He spoke out against the abuses suffered by Indians on the reservations, which proved an embarrassment to the administration and, as depicted, was regarded by many of his superiors as a trouble-making glory seeker. He also said that if he were an Indian he'd fight the encroaching white expansion, which is repeated in the film"


Ironic indeed...

No comments: