Monday 18 June 2012

More GOOD News!

As your bringer of uplifting stories I have another heart-warming tale to tell!

As the weather was MUCH better (granted that's not hard) I decided to test the hip with a stroll down Easington Beach to view the Little Tern colony (P.125). As all Yorks Birders will be aware this colony has had it rough for a lot of years. Predation in all forms has been rife, resulting in very little breeding success. They keep reterning (sorry) though.

As I reached the Wardens Hut I had a chat with Lizzie who was on duty.


I was lamenting the lack of success over the years BUT she informed me that last year a (relative) bumper 19 were raised!!! Fantastic.
She also told me that 20 nests were occupied and doing well...despite the horrendous weather. Brilliant.

The BP sponsored electric fence must be helping...let's keep our fingers crossed for another successful breeding season...


On the way home I spotted this cracker in the roadside verge...


Having dragged out my Condor photos from 2008 yesterday I was impressed with the quality of the images (even though I say so myself!). I still have the old camera...might have to dust it off and start using it again? Pleased with the above with the Nikon P150 though...

No comments: