Sunday 16 December 2012

Quality threesome

We all went for a walk this morning from Skeffling to Welwick along the floodbank. The weather was unbelievable for mid-December, bright sunshine with little wind. As we left Skeffling I spotted a small group of birds distantly over the saltmarsh that looked good for Twite.

We continued towards Welwick enjoying a good selection of estuary species. As we approached Welwick I spotted a bird that I'd hoped for but didn't expect to see...Hen Harrier (P.176) and a male to boot!

It was only in view for around a minute, floating gracefully and unfortunately distantly over the marsh. One was reported from Sunk Island, possibly the same bird?

As we approached Skeffling on the return journey I noticed a group of small birds in "the bush". Twite, 12 of them. They allowed close approach...unfortunately the battery in my camera was flat!

Phil Jones went down later in the day and obtained this cracking image...


After some lunch at home I went down to Kilnsea Wetlands to see if I could find the Long-tailed Duck again...after all I did find it!

Sure enough it was still there. After a while it decided to co-operate by coming quite close to the hide, in the late afternoon sun...



The "Barnie" is still present also...



No comments: