Sunday 27 January 2013

Weekend summary

The Star...


Saturday
Needed a good walk, so took Bud to Easington and walked down the beach to Beacon Ponds to have a look for the Spoonbill. Lovely morning, fresh and clear with bright sunshine. On reaching "the ponds" I had an initial scan but no sign, although the LTD was picked up pretty quickly.

I then decided to make my way round to the floodbank via the new path. On reaching it I bumped into Mick Turton who informed me he'd just had it. When he went to show me where it was it'd disappeared! We had a good chat then we went our separate ways. Within a minute he was waving, informing me that he had re-located it!

As Bud was with me I decided to walk back around to the beach to view from there to avoid flushing it. I soon picked it up (P.87, S.64) and then tried to get a pic...flat battery!!

Still, did manage to add Marsh Harrier (P.88, S.65) over Kilnsea on the way home.

Sunday
Today started well with a decent group of Redwing in the village first thing. There had been an obvious influx of thrushes overnight with bird scattered all along the Holmpton/Easington road. Really chuffed to pick this out of the masses...


Mistle Thrush (P.89, H.48)
Arrived at Kilnsea Wetlands and made my way down to the hide, as I turned the first corner (concentrating on where I was stepping in the thick mud) a large white bird flushed directly in front of me...



note the black primaries

You may have read that there was some concern over the welfare of the bird due to it's unusual behaviour...



It was eventually caught, checked over and weighed. It was found to be within acceptable parameters and released. I also managed a couple of Twite (S.66) in with the Linnet flock and a lone female Shoveler (P.90, S.67).

The western part of the Wetlands is looking superb at the moment with large numbers of Wildfowl and Waders...including some Pinkfeet.



Be nice to see what turns up here this year? Handy, as I've left NDC but now have this fabulous new habitat...nice!

Patrington Haven and Skeffling were visited this afternoon. Highlights were Marsh Harrier and Barn Owl at the former.

In case you were curious I passed my driving test on Friday and am now a qualified Bus Driver...



Now where can I go next on holiday?

No comments: