Monday 20 May 2013

Good evening

Finished early and headed for Sammy's. Bumped into Adam Hutt who filled me in with the latest news and was highly amused by Buddy's antics...he's definitely getting better!

We walked down to the far end hoping the Red-backed Shrike might show. It didn't.

Next, I decided to try foe the Red-breasted Fly at Canal Scrape. On the way though I picked up a couple of Cuckoos, one of which landed reasonably close...


Once in the hide I joined Steve Webb who told me he'd seen it briefly 10 minutes ago. He left shortly after...just before it showed again (P.122, S.95), albeit briefly.

News came over the radio of a Spotted Redshank at Kilnsea Wetlands. I walked up towards Beacon Ponds but no sign. I made my way up onto the floodbank and there it was (P.123, S.96)...


Sneaked a Chiffchaff on the way back to the car (P.124, S.97). Just as I was getting in I noticed a birder walking past who I'd talked to a couple of nights before. He told me he'd just seen the Red-backed Shrike that had been around for a few days. He gave me directions and off I went.

I luckily picked it up straight away in typical habitat...

24x

Cropped 50%...


Just out of interest I tried the 96x...



Obviously poor quality BUT could be useful on occasions for ID purposes.

Never have understood the zoom v cropping conundrum? Ah well...

DUSKY THRUSH...some final thoughts

Having read various birders accounts I consider myself very lucky to have had clear views at such a late hour. Still, maybe I deserved it for making the (late) effort...

Choose what you want to try for...then go for it...simple!? Mega, rarity, scarcity, common...whatever.

Just enjoy birds...


No comments: