Wednesday 31 July 2013

Texas 13 - Summary

OK, The final instalment. I hope I've given you a feel of this great birding State. Some may have known it already but others not.

Birders travel the world to their own favourite spots. This is mine. I've been to many European hotspots over the years including Cyprus, Majorca, Extremadura and the Pyrenees amongst others. Fortunate enough to visit many US States including Alaska (extremely impressed) and I've even made it to Australia (not impressed).

A few reasons why I love Texas. Great birds...obviously, which allow excellent photo opportunities. SPACE (it's bigger than France)...fantastic for a touring holiday. Superb scenery. Friendly people. Fabulous infrastructure....road system excellent, motels everywhere...and food! No need for jabs! No language problems!!

Below are my final images from this years trip. I hope to return sometime in the not to distant future...

Raptors


Osprey
Harris Hawk
Crested Caracara
White-tailed Hawk
Here's a few more in no particular order.

Love thrashers...fearless and full of character...

Long-billed
Summer Tanager...


Great Horned Owl...

distant shot in heat haze...many thanks to Tim Isherwood
Purple Gallinule...

lucky to see this one

Forster's Tern...



Cliff Swallow...

memories of  Spurn 23/10/95!

Couldn't finish without a pic of my Texas Bay-breasted Warbler. I'd always been too early when I visited during my teaching life, so it was very satisfying to finally connect after 13 years...


Celebrations were in order...

a familiar pose!

likewise!

No comments: