Saturday 10 August 2013

Snakey lane - a fine local site

At first glance it doesn't look much. Just a minor road between Holmpton and Patrington. However since we moved here 18 months ago I've managed some interesting sightings along it's 3 miles.

I'm not going to list them all, as I've mentioned plenty in my posts but scarce birds these days like Corn Bunting can be found here. This summer has produced singing Yellowhammer and Yellow Wagtail. Grey Partridges are common.

It's not just birds. Hares and Deer are regular sights.

This afternoon I spent a pleasant hour checking a few muck-spread fields? Amazing numbers of gulls present. A conservative estimate would be c5000. Nothing unusual stood out but I did manage a few Golden Plover on the deck.

As I approached Patrington I picked up a raptor in the distance. I managed to pull over and take a few pics as it disappeared into the distance...this was the best...

Marsh Harrier

A trip to Tesco meant a check on the House Martin colony by the sewage works (I get to all the best places). Still plenty of activity...


...and it's not the only type...


No comments: