Monday 10 February 2014

A fine conclusion

Late start today after yesterdays excitement. Finally ventured out after lunch and went for a walk up to Beacon Ponds. Lovely crisp and sunny winters afternoon. I was greeted at Kilnsea Wetlands with this exquisite Little Egret...


I also saw my first Cormorant (P.83, S.53) of the year...


Up on the Ponds there were 4 Goldeneye...always nice to see...


Further along I managed to get fairly close to the "winter" Swans...

Bewick's

Bewick's with immature Whooper
...and so to Skeffling. I was determined to pick up "something" here. I've paid many visits already this year. I love this spot. Easy access with the car and great to walk Bud...and of course there's the birds!

Large numbers of Oystercatchers present this afternoon...at least 500! I also spotted a couple of distant Pintail amongst the Mallards. Plenty of Lapwing on the adjacent farmland...


Walking down the flood bank enjoying the wader spectacular I glanced inland and saw a "shape". I lifted my "bins"...



A fine sighting...


The Buzzard was then joined by a Barn Owl that took a rest on a bush...


It was approaching 5pm by now and I was about to turn back towards the car when I noticed the Buzzard had taken off...


I followed it as it made it's way towards the flood bank. The shape then landed...

Can you see it?
I was happy with my views...but wait...surely not...YES!!!

Short-eared Owl (P.84)
It made it's way along the waters edge as the sun set...


past me...


then gone...


My perseverance pays off...

No comments: