Saturday 19 April 2014

DEEP SOUTH...the story so far

I'm writing this from Hendersonville, North Carolina. We travelled here through heavy Good Friday traffic from the beautiful city of Savannah, Georgia...we did the tour.

The reason we're here is that I'm trying to add AMERICAN WOODCOCK to my ABA list! I've had to travel north to the mountains to find a "micro climate" that means the birds are still displaying at this time. I have a good contact and I'll be trying this evening. The weather has been poor here but it's improving gradually.

The first day in the Miami area proved fruitful with 2 ABA ticks. Firstly I saw a LA SAGRA'S FLYCATCHER on Key Largo. The fact that I saw it at midday in 100 degree heat was VERY fortunate!
We then spent a wonderful afternoon/evening in the Everglades. Excellent views of many species plus sightings of Crocodile and Alligator! I finally managed to add SHINY COWBIRD to my ABA list.

Next it was onto the Ft Myers area. Another superb location and a sighting of EURASIAN WIGEON!

My MANGROVE CUCKOO efforts have so far proved unsuccessful...although I have tried...hard. Ding Darling, Sanibel Island and Bunche Beach were scoured but to no avail. I have a contact for my return trip and 4 days down at Key West, so plenty of time yet? You can only stare into mangroves whilst getting eaten for so long!

No pics as too time consuming. I'll save those for later.

That's it for now...

No comments: