Monday 7 April 2014

Last day?

Probably my last session before we head for the States on Sunday, so I wanted to make the most of it! Things started well with a local Song Thrush belting it out from the treetops...



Next stop was Easington were I took the lane down to Sammy's. This was the area I saw some Fieldfares the other day. Today there were more thrushes but this time it was the turn of the Redwings. They were very skittish and when they did land it was only very briefly.


With patience though I managed to grab a few shots...




There were at least 500 between the Cemetery and the car park at Sammy's. A fine sight indeed!

The afternoon was spent packing my case (under orders) as time will be limited before we leave. I managed to escape again around five and I decided to return to Sammy's to see if the flock was still about. It wasn't! They'd obviously moved on. It was however great to have witnessed this obvious visible migration of thrushes returning north.

I parked the car and made my way with Bud down the path by the Humber. Dark clouds were threatening heavy rain but we carried on. Once I reached the main group of bushes I cut across towards the main ditch. As I reached it I looked along and there perched right in front of me was a Kingfisher!!! (P.94, S.57)

It flew off down the ditch but fortunately landed some 50yds away...


Very dark by now but this perched image is passable, considering...


After a couple of minutes it flew swiftly passed again and disappeared towards Kilnsea...


This was the first record for the Spurn area this year.

The heavens had now opened and we headed back towards the car. My efforts were further rewarded when a Swallow (P.95, S.58) flew over my head, followed almost immediately by 3 Sand Martins! (P.96, S.59). Possibly brought down by the heavy rain?

Great stuff.

Driving back I passed the usual haunts including Out Newton. I timed it just right as the Barn Owl was just emerging for it's evening patrol...


A much better day than anticipated. You just never know...do you?

No comments: