Friday 20 June 2014

BLACK SCOTER

Managed to finally connect with a new Yorkshire bird on Wednesday!

After missing BAIKAL TEAL, ROCK THRUSH and CASPIAN TERN (last year's US trip), plus this year's CRAG MARTIN (eve of this year's US trip) I like to think I was due one!!

Conditions were choppy as I arrived at Redcar and joined the 3 other intrepid twitchers looking longingly out into the briny. It was very difficult to get a decent view of the bird in the heavy swell but eventually the banana bill stood out! Nice to see Gary Dayes as I hadn't bumped into him for a while.

So, BLACK SCOTER takes my Yorkshire list to 374. Unsurprisingly I didn't manage a picture of note!

.................................

Evening shift today so I had a mooch around locally this morning. There was an early report of a Great White Egret flying over Spurn towards Sammy's so I had a ride down there with Bud (that's a default really).

On the way I bumped into my local Little Owl sunbathing on the farm roof...


No sign of the Egret but a few decent species around including this Yellow Wagtail in a rape field...


Reed warbler's are elusive birds at the best of times so I was chuffed to get a few decent shots including this youngster...


Parents were constantly in attendance providing a constant food supply...



BRIDLED TERN back on the Farnes. How about a visit to Yorks?

Great to see all the poppies around at the moment...


2 comments:

Studland Birder said...

Hi Alan. Thats a pretty impressive County list
Steve S

Alan Whitehead said...

Hi Steve, Not bad. Missed quite a few over the years whilst on holiday but wouldn't change a thing! Nice to hear from you. I see the "Eagle" is still in the Country.