Monday 4 August 2014

Owls of fun

Best session for quite a while last night.

I decided to have a drive around Sunk Island prairie! Love the open spaces down there and there's always the chance of a decent Raptor/Owl.

Stopped to give Bud a stretch and a Little Egret drifted by...


As I was trying to get closer to it I noticed a bird shooting from behind the car...Peregrine! (P.122). An overdue and unexpected year tick. Far to brief and fast for a pic which was a pity as the light was superb...yellow legs clearly visible with the naked eye. This was followed almost immediately by a distant quartering juvenile Marsh Harrier which rapidly disappeared.

An excellent couple of hours in the evening sunshine on what had been the best day of the year weather wise.

On the way home I noticed an adult on the farm roof...


It was now 8.50pm so I headed home. As I rounded the bend however I noticed a familiar shape on the freshly ploughed field...


further scan revealed both youngsters in the same field!


A wonderful ending to a great day...

No comments: