Thursday 4 September 2014

...and so it begins...

Tried hard from 8 (planned on 6.30 but didn't make it!) in the village but saw nowt. So, by 10 I'd succumbed to the messages trickling through from you know where.

First stop was Cliff farm were a Wryneck had been seen. I gave it 45 mins then drifted off down the canal. I bumped into a couple of young birders who said they'd seen it on the beach...but I still couldn't locate it.

I'd just past the hide when a message came over the radio saying the/a Wryneck was showing on the scrape! Nobody in the hide and not many around? Still no luck but a nice close Redshank was dapper...


A distant and overdue Pied Fly' (P.129, S.85) was much appreciated also...


It was time to think about returning home and work...unfortunately. As I walked up towards the Blue Bell a black car and I face I recognised...Rich Willison. At that exact moment another message over the radio..."Wryneck trapped at the Warren". Maybe I would see one after all? I jumped (well bundled) into Richard's car and off we went the short distance to the Warren.

Adam Hutt soon did the necessaries then emerged with the bird to show the admiring crowd...


Cheating I know...but what a bird! My second of the year.

No comments: