Monday 22 September 2014

Day 5

A quality encounter this morning, arguably my best of the year.

After a disappointing seawatch I decided to try for the juvenile Hen Harrier that was lingering around Kilnsea Wetlands. I parked in the car park (made sense) and walked up onto Long Bank for a scan. I gave it 30 minutes but nothing doing, so I had a walk towards Sammy's. Quite a few Birders about due to "the Shrike". I kept scanning but still no joy. As I neared Sammy's I turned around...and there it was!!

A superb juvenile Hen Harrier hunting the drain, This pic was taken at about 100yds and not quite nailed BUT what an agile bird...


It moved along...




Eventually making it's way across the field towards Sammy's car park...

Stunning bird
Marvelous.

A fitting 150th for the Patch year list.

...........................................................

Had a couple of hours seawatching with Phil this afternoon. Undoubted highlight was a group of SEVEN Pomarine Skuas in a tight group heading South. A lifer for Phil.

No comments: