Friday 21 November 2014

Find your own...

Tried to make the most of the daylight and was out of the house by 7.30. In the interests of "mop up" I decided to do a seawatch from Easington which meant I could exercise my 4 legged friend as well as hopefully cross off a few belated Spurn year ticks.

The first bird that past was a superb male Eider heading south (S.123). Then a long overdue Red-throated Diver (S.124) was found on the sea, several others passed south. Going well.

Next it was down to Spurn. My target was Snow Bunting. A few had been reported over the previous week but I didn't have a particular spot to focus on, so I just walked south along the beach from the car park. Just as I was setting off I noticed this Goldeneye on the Borrow Pit...


I left junior in the car as pooches are understandably not welcome on the reserve. I'd gone about three quarters of the way to the seawatching hut when I bumped into a couple of birders and I asked them if they'd seen any. They hadn't, so after a chat I carried on. I had all day, which was obviously nice...and relaxing, so I hung around for a while hoping I might catch a glimpse of one/some. Three more Eiders flew over the peninsular from the Humber and out to sea...

jizz test!
A Stonechat entertained on the nearby fence...


Still no luck with the SB. I turned and headed for the car park. Then I heard a familiar musical trill. Out of nowhere...a Snow Bunting (S.125) flew over the dunes and landed right in front of me! It had taken 90 minutes.

It was then joined by a second bird and they proceeded to feed actively amongst the grasses.

No apologies for a few pics...


OK, maybe just one more...

Shame about the twig BUT what a cracking bird!
Love these birds, full of character, bold and cute!

I then drove down to the Crown and Anchor. It was noticeable that large numbers of Blackbirds were present...with many resting in the bushes, obviously exhausted...


I then saw at least 30 drop out of the sky into the car park bushes! Great to witness this spectacle. The controversial Redstart was still present but I didn't return after seeing it well yesterday.

I spent what was left of the daylight looking for Raptors/ Owls down at Sunk Island. The best I could manage was this distant Buzzard...


On the way home I came across a large flock of Fieldfare, at least 300...


..and that, was that!

No comments: