Tuesday 11 November 2014

RLB re-visited

Last day off. What to do?

Search for the Black Brant again...maybe. Nice day...a (possible) last visit to the RLB at Brid'? The latter idea won out.

I arrived at Grindale at 9.30 and immediately picked it up in it's favourite hedge...alas 150yds from the road. I was hoping to get some views in better light. I had the light but the bird remained distant...all morning!

These were the best I could manage...albeit using the digital zoom due to the distance...



and a supa dupa zoom...



So, it was lunchtime now, always important. I gave Bud a good blast and then considered what to do next. The bird had favoured it's chosen hedge all morning and did the same on my previous morning visit. It was also clouding over by now and the wind was strengthening. My stubborn streak kicked in so I returned to the main road and waited. A few more hopeful souls had turned up but the bird had disappeared. Then it was spotted further up the road but of course by the time we'd got there it had vanished.

It was 3pm by now and I'd put 6 hrs in, most had left. Then, I picked it up distantly towards the village but lost it over the hedges. I drove down and took the side road towards Filey hoping I'd get lucky.

I did. There it was!! Hovering low above the road verge...

An admiring cyclist
I enjoyed a memorable 10 minutes following the bird in my car. I managed a few flight shots through the window...


This is my favourite though...


So, success and patience rewarded. Pity about the poor light BUT...what a wonderful bird...

No comments: