Thursday 6 November 2014

Underwhelming

I decided to travel north to Brid' again this morning. The journey was fuelled by the promise of further RLB views plus a Citrine Wagtail at South landing.

I reached Grindale around 9. It was clear but cold. I was the first there. It gave me time to give the lad a good blast. No sign of the bird from my elevated vantage point.

By 10 a few more potential admirers had arrived. Around 10.30 the bird was located in it's favourite hedge in the valley. It has this habit of hedge hopping (smart bird) which obviously saves energy especially in cold conditions. It eventually found/killed a rabbit and unfortunately that was that as far as I was concerned as it remained on the prey until I left at 12.30.

Nice to see and have a good chat with John Harriman. He mentioned he'd already been at South landing but couldn't locate "the wagtail" BUT there were some Little Auks passing close.

Unfortunately when I got there I could see nothing of note except Tony Dixon!

A disappointing morning followed by an afternoon hospital appointment. You can't win 'em all...

p.s. I'd have been better trying for Little Auks off Holmpton. Bad decision.

....................................................................................

A couple of cracking DESERT WHEATEARS arrived today. I wonder if there's one on the clifftop?


No comments: