Saturday 15 November 2014

Visible Migration par excellence - Swallow-tailed Kites!

...BUT before I do I feel it's worth mentioning another highlight of my time on Sanibel Island. It was our second evening and we were looking for somewhere to eat. There was plenty of choice! We'd just pulled into a likely spot when I noticed a bird floating overhead.

It was dusk by now but there above me was the unmistakable silhouette of a Swallow-tailed Kite. Problem was I'd packed up for the day and my camera was in the boot. A few minutes fumbling and I'd managed to sort things out...problem was the bird had disappeared! I'd previously seen a fly-by down in the Everglades



...but I'd not given up on this one.

Fortunately I picked it/one up again over the supermarket!

It was 7.11pm
The light had nearly gone...then I noticed another, then another...


EIGHT!!!

What a stroke of luck. They floated around for a good ten minutes before dropping into the woods to roost. I was there at dawn next morning and gave it a good hour but no sign.

A magical encounter with one of my favourite birds.

No comments: