Friday 23 January 2015

A day out and about

Thursday started with a walk along the cliff at Easington looking for the Black Redstart (P.60, S.44). I made my way north and found it on the rocks below the cliff. It was joined by a Stonechat (P.61, S.45). Both disappeared within a minute and I couldn't relocate them in the next 30 minutes?

Next to Sproatley to see if the Buzzard I'd seen from the Bus on the last couple of days was still in the area. It was...


Next it was west to Swinefleet to look for the Bewick's Swans that had been in the area for a while. Rare birds in Yorkshire these days. It took me a good 20 minutes to locate them in the vast flatness but eventually I spotted them...large white things! A minor road allowed me decent views...


Great birds...

Final destination...the old stomping (or should it be sitting) ground. I arrived at NDC at 2pm and after giving Bud a stretch I made my way to the hide. My luck was in as above the hide door were 5 Bullfinches. Always a grand sight...


A pleasant couple of hours was had amassing a modest 36 species. Highlights were 9 Ruff, c50 Whooper Swans, c40 Pintail, Peregrine and Buzzard. No sign of the reported Stonechats.

I will return...

No comments: