Monday 2 February 2015

Patrington Haven

That's what I still call it anyway. It seems to have a multitude of names these days! I paid my first visit of the year this afternoon. The forecast looked OK regarding precipitation but it was COLD with a biting north westerly.

I arrived on the Humber bank around 2 and started to scan.

Memories of IVORY GULL?

High tide was 4ish so I was arriving at the optimum time. Most stuff was still a fair way out but the tide was coming in quickly. Large groups of Dunlin, Knot, Curlew, Shelduck, Teal and Wigeon were heading west, many into the Haven itself to roost.

Large menacing clouds were billowing to the North West and I wasn't getting any warmer. No raptors or Owls were seen (they had more sense) and a modest 20 species. The best record being this distant pair of Pintail heading west with the rest...


It's not all about birds...this Seal was a surprise...and a site first...


I checked a few beaches on the way home but no sign of the hoped for WW Gull. They're on the increase though. No wonder!

No comments: