Wednesday 4 March 2015

A turn for the worse...weather wise only!

Depends on the weather!! The weather was horrendous today...never mind, I still managed to see some great birds...

The original plan was to visit Porto Colom for the Balearic Warbler but it became obvious as we passed through Manacor that it wasn't going to clear! I scored some points by taking Louise to Palma. On the way I managed a stop off at Bassa de Can Guidet reservoir near Son Ferriol. I was hoping to see Black-necked Grebe here and I wasn't disappointed as I reckon there were at least 30 present, some coming quite close, giving great 'scope views.The weather was still poor as we reached Palma but we enjoyed seeing the magnificent Catherdral...and the pair of Peregrines!

After lunch we headed north again hoping for better conditions. It wasn't to be! It got worse. Louise had had enough and went back to our room. I decided to explore around the immediate area...mainly the Albufereta...

Black Redstarts were in good numbers on the side roads to the north. As I crossed the Torrent de Albufereta an Osprey suddenly appeared fighting the now gale force wind. Next I tried to find the "raised mound" which is apparently the best viewpoint over the reserve. As I parked my car I could see a small area of open water...and two Greater Flamingoes! Then 3 Stone Curlews flew over. Eventually, I found the viewpoint and also 2 pairs of Red-crested Pochard. No sign of any Great White Egrets however.

Better weather tomorrow hopefully...

Species count: 62

No comments: