Tuesday 3 March 2015

First report

Thought I'd share the highlights of my first two days...

First bird I saw on leaving our place was a surprise Sandwich Tern fishing in Pollenca bay! We then headed up into the Tramuntana mountains. First stop was Lluc Monastry. The hoped for Wrynecks never materialised but I got great views of Firecrests by the stream. Next stop was the viewpoint overlooking the Torrent de Paries. Took some time but eventually got amazing views of Black Vulture and 6 Griffons at eye level. As we were leaving a dark phase Booted Eagle descended into the valley. Great stuff!

Today I tried for the Egyptian Vultures above Arta. I gave it 4 hours in favourable conditions but no joy. I did see another dark phase Booted plus 4 Red Kites and a pair of Ravens. We finished off in the mountains with a visit to Ermita de Betlem where 2 more Firecrest were seen and a male Crossbill.

Earlier around Albefereta I'd managed to find a Spotless Starling inland from the C'an Cuarrassa restaurant plus a pair of fine Hoopoes feeding on the road in front of the car.

40 species seen so far...

The weather has been VERY kind (23c yesterday)...hope it lasts?

p.s  Pics will have to wait. Too busy enjoying ourselves!


No comments: