Thursday 12 March 2015

Making Hay while the Sun shines

Tuesday 3rd March

Mountains again to start...and great entertainment from a dark phase Booted Eagle...

Landing lights!
It eventually descended deep into the valley...


Great entertainment for a good 15 minutes.

We then moved onto Cuber reservoir, a lovely spot but not much doing...


We finished off another stunning day with an hour near the resort along the back roads of Pollenca. Sardinian Warbler is a VERY common and easy to see species on Mallorca...grabbing a decent image is more of a challenge with this hyper-active bird!


Eventually it stayed still for a moment...


Another common but spectacular bird is the Hoopoe. They were calling regularly throughout our stay but it's a frustratingly elusive species for such a striking bird. Like many species I didn't specifically target them, I just figured I'd hopefully come across them eventually! Fortunately I didn't have to wait long, as I found a pair feeding on a track...

A wonderful bird!
I also got lucky by finding some Spotless Starlings mixed in with their commoner cousins...


Heading south tomorrow...

No comments: