Tuesday 17 March 2015

s'Albufera (1)

Many of you will probably have heard of this famous reserve. I visited it when my lads were young in 1988! So it was great to be able to re-visit so many years later. Today was (very) windy but thankfully the sky was blue. I figured we might be able to gain some shelter as birding elsewhere but be very difficult.

The approach track to the visitors centre produced some fine Night Herons roosting...



Again Dave's guide was indispensable allowing us to visit the central sites at leisure without (thankfully) too much walking. As we crossed the bridge over the main channel we had great views of Crested Coot...


Looking the other way from the bridge a Great Crested Grebe swam into view. This species wasn't on my list of expected species...and it wasn't the last...


The hides facing north were unsurprisingly cold. One contained a lady who was actually sweeping the hide out. That was a first for me. While I was waiting for her to finish I spotted  a good number of Red-crested Pochards on the main channel...


On entering the hide I was treated to this beauty...

Adult Greater Flamingo
It was lunchtime by now and it was still sunny but cold in the north wind. We decided to return to the car for lunch...and warmth! On the way back I heard a metallic rattling noise. I managed to sort the camera out just in time to fire off a few shots. I was amazed at the quality of the image I managed to obtain (if ever so slightly obscured) showing many of the main features of this species. I didn't expect to see it on a wall!

You can see the pale super, side of head and neck tinged grey, rounded wings, short undertail-coverts reaching only half along tail and of course the cocked tail! Cracking bird, full of character.

Cetti's Warbler
After lunch review tomorrow...

No comments: