Tuesday 12 May 2015

Letting one go!

...if you'll pardon the expression.

The last day of my three day break had me at Blacktoft hoping to see the Montague's Harriers. I'd taken Bud and couldn't leave him in the car so I was scanning from the public footpath by the sharp bend. Optimistic I know but they had performed over the car park on occasions and they do like arable land. Besides he had a great time!

No luck in an hour then yet again a MEGA alert!

MEGA Norfolk MOLTONI'S SUBALPINE WARBLER male Blakeney Point in Plantation at 12.14pm

I was already at Goole so I reckoned 3 plus hours with favourable traffic. Ah BUT then there's the walk along the shingle for 3 MILES!! Don't be a whimp. I like to think I'm fairly resilient but the state I'm in at the moment it would be just too much and don't forget the 3 miles back! Also it just didn't er...hit the spot. The previous three birds this Spring definitely but not this. Yes it's a tick and as you know like most of us I like a tick (never grown up).

Expressing opinions on on-line forums can be fraught with hassle as I've found out in the past. I'm a big boy and it doesn't bother me but I prefer to air my personal views here...if that's OK.

Believe it or not I'm not a scientist! I do find all the recent splits less than inspiring however. Also as well as splits some are lumped...sent the other way?

Caspian Gull
Iberian Chiffchaff
Sykes Warbler

To name but three. Race or Species?

Birds that can only be identified by song/call. Extremely subtle differences in plumage. Don't get me wrong if the authorities deem it so...then so be it...and I'll go and see it, if I can. I just won't try a hard...like yesterday.

Just a personal opinion you understand. Best not to take it TOO seriously.

Now then, suppose a BLUE-CHEEKED BEE-EATER had been in the Plantation...mmmmmmm?





No comments: