Friday 22 May 2015

Searching hard

Day off...therefore Blog post! I've got a couple of late shifts Friday and Sat (which gives me most of the day) otherwise clear until Wednesday so hopefully available if something breaks while I'm out on the Patch.

Well we're into late May and I have to say the quality of migrants in both numbers and species is very poor. There's plenty of time yet and I'm sure there are "good birds" to come. Hopefully?

The local Sand Martins are back at Intack near the sewage plant. It's one of my doggy walking spots (and Phil's local patch). They use the puddles to collect mud for their nests. Using the car as a hide I managed to catch them in action this morning...


Next down to Long Bank, Kilnsea for lunch. Might as well eat somewhere were I might see somert. I did! It came in from the south...

Sinister silhouette
A jizz that just exudes power.

It then descended and flew low around the field a few times...


Finally coming to rest at about 80 yards...


Had to be a female.

Next up onto the floodbank at Beacon Ponds on a wonderful afternoon. The Avocets were there usually noisy selves obviously agitated by our passing. At least one pair already have young. They are wonderful birds however...



Five minutes in the hide at Kilnsea wetlands produced a decent view of a Little Tern...


The last couple of hours were spent along the canal bank watching the elusive Cuckoos! They are VERY quick and flighty. I failed miserably in my attempts to get a decent flight shot. In my defence they spent most of the time south of me and therefore into the sun. This was probably about the speed they were going!


No comments: