Tuesday 14 July 2015

And we're OFF!

Working tomorrow then over to Mother's for a kip before flying to Phoenix on Thursday lunchtime for EIGHTEEN marvelous days in S.E.Arizona's birding Mecca. I remember the long dark winter. THIS is what got me through it!

I've hired a guide for a day on Sunday to help with my main targets...

BUFF-COLLARED NIGHTJAR
WHISKERED SCREECH OWL
MEXICAN WHIP POOR WILL
TUFTED FLYCATCHER
PLAIN-CAPPED STARTHROAT

I don't normally do this as I like to "find 'em myself". On this occasion though I feel I need some local expertise in the form of Richard Fray...a Brit! I feel it will be money well spent as you can see from his website which is packed with great information.

As already mentioned I dipped on the first three in 2005 so I have unfinished business. Richard can hopefully pinpoint these birds for me and stop me getting lost or even worse stuck on one of the many dodgy roads! California Gulch where the Nightjar is located is a nightmare spot unless your familiar with it.

I love this area with it's three distinct "Sky Island" mountain ranges. Giving much needed respite from the desert heat. They are teaming with great birds and the start of the rains in the form of afternoon thunderstorms kicks a lot of them off singing again... a second Spring!

Anyway, enough for now, I've got some packing to do. I hope to post trip highlights at fairly regular intervals. So...stay tuned!


No comments: