Saturday 4 July 2015

LITTLE BITTERN - Third time lucky

FINALLY added LITTLE BITTERN to my County list this morning. I arrived for my third attempt at 4.45am. The gates were still locked. I was second on the grid with a lengthening queue behind me. A young lady duly arrived on time at 5 to let us in with a smile.

It was obviously important to get a seat in the hide, especially as I'd driven through torrential rain to get here. I took up a now familiar pose in the hide and we waited...and waited...and waited. More potential admirers were arriving all the time and the hide was busting at the seams by 5.30.

Then just after 6 the cry went out. "There it is flying right!" Now...most sightings had come from the area between the Reedbed Hide and screen, so that's were I initially looked. I couldn't pick it up. Another cry..."It's going past the wind pump" Where's that?

"It's going down now"

Oh dear...yours truly had missed it! The only thing worse than dipping is not seeing it when it shows.

Many smiles and congratulations throughout the hide. Unfortunately I couldn't share the joy.

A real sickener.

At least I now knew the area where it had landed (he said optimistically).

Then at 6.30...I got it! It took off again and flew left back in the direction it came from and landed in a bush for all to see...

A record dot!
Lets just call it a "realistic view"

The bird was obviously distant but the flight views were good. Later in the morning my pal Haydn had better views as it flew to the reeds in front of the "Bus Stop" viewing area. I was very satisfied with my views...considering!!!

A MASSIVE Yorkshire tick.

This Spring has been crazy for "good birds", both locally and nationally in what has been a poor Spring for migrants? Maybe that's why!

Called at Beacon Ponds on the way home for a peep (sorry) at the White-rumped Sand' (P.113, S.90) through Adam Hutt's scope. Cheers pal.

No comments: