Tuesday 25 August 2015

A mixed day

Got through Easington around 7.30am and found a couple of birders looking into a stubble field. I pulled up and had a scan...Red-footed Falcon!

Jizz...


The first unfortunate incident of the day occurred when one chap decided he could walk into the middle of the field for a better view...sound familiar...I'll leave it there as I'm getting more diplomatic in my advancing years, it's not easy though. I got a few distant pics as it spent time on the ground...


I soon left the area as I wasn't enjoying the situation, feel a bit of a patsy doing the right thing if you get my drift. It moved on mid-morning.

Next it was down to Kilnsea where I saw 2 Red-backed Shrikes in 5 minutes!



Both rather distant again but at least they were there! Again...nowhere like it.

Not the numbers of yesterday...345 Willow Warblers and 230 Pied Flycatchers...but still plenty to scan through, not forgetting the RFF of course. Just one more Shrike pic, it's through the branches but I love the stance...


I had to pop home at lunchtime to meet a joiner so I hung around the cliff for a while until he called. Better news today as I had at least 3 Pied Fly's plus many (c30) Willow Warblers. You could say I was rather chuffed! The PF were very active typically perching briefly and flying a distance, they were too quick for me.

After lunch I returned south to try yet again for the Wryneck that keeps perching on the Gas Terminal fence...unfortunately not when I'm around. Gavin had gone down for the Falcon after me and had seen it...yep...on the fence. As I was scanning yet again a message...Red-footed Falcon, Sammy's Point. Let's go!

As I started to walk down the floodbank a birder and his wife were returning to the car park. He told me he had seen the bird perched on the barbed wire down to 20 feet!!! His photos were quite good! Unfortunately the bird was not re-located and a later report of one south past Donna Nook may be the end of our fun. This brings me to the second incident. Four chaps pulled up asking where the bird was. I politely informed them it had flown off. Three seemed to accept this but the fourth wouldn't have it. He lost his cool, demanding to know where it had gone and accusing me of winding him up!?

I left.

I finished off back at the triangle hoping for better views of the Shrikes. I didn't see either but I did see another Wryneck, again distantly...


Back on the bus tomorrow for 4 days so I'll continue with my Arizona report...

No comments: