Sunday 9 August 2015

Black Stork (2)

The trouble with trying to start a holiday trip report is that "home" birding continues! It was great to get out with Buddy again and I took him up to Easington for a good stretch.

Then, down to Spurn.

I was hoping to get lucky with some flight views of the BS. As I approached Kilnsea Wetlands I could see a decent crowd that could only be looking at one thing...


After around ten minutes it took off and headed towards Sammy's. I followed. As I approached the car park I could see the bird over the stubble. Now was my chance.

Bingo...


It headed back towards Kilnsea Wetlands and incredibly landed on the small pool right next to the car park...


It was obviously doing the rounds and next it was Kilnsea Wetlands briefly. Up, up and away heading towards the C&A.

It was nice to see a few familiar faces including Joe from the NE, Karl Dutton and my pal Vince from Selby.

I drove past the pub and started heading down towards the Blue Bell when I saw three women pointing...up! The Stork passed right over my car on it's way to it's favourite resting place on Well Field.

Louise was having car issues so the next few hours were spent sorting it out including a drive to Hull...for a change!! Then it was home to watch Liverpool...not a fan, but I've always had an attachment to the club and like the way they play...most of the time. It was nearing half-time when the pager informed me of a Black Tern at Beacon Ponds. A "good" bird but not worth missing the second half for. Another message...White-winged Black Tern at Beacon Ponds...definitely worth missing the second half for...besides there's Sky plus.

As I started the walk from the car park a birder was looking through his scope...at a Pectoral Sandpiper!! Nice bonus. I said that was a stroke of luck. He agreed but told me my luck had ran out as the WWBT had just flown off. I gave it an hour but it didn't return. Nice to see Lance Degnan though.

It was getting late but I had one more idea...I don't get many. Last night the BIG ONE roosted on the heligoland trap in Church Field...I wonder?

I sat on the bench around 7.45 and waited. Nothing by 8. 8.15 still nothing. Then...in it came...


and took up it's perch for the night...


A nice end to the day...

No comments: