Friday 18 September 2015

S.E.Arizona (10)

30/7/2015

Today centred on 2 sites. The first being the  Patagonia - Sonoita Creek Preserve, yet another renowned site within S.E.Arizona.

I was trying to connect with a few "missing" species from my list as well as spending some quality time on this superb reserve...before it got too hot! I like the challenge of finding certain birds. They're not necessarily rare or even scarce but they can be local and/or elusive. You obviously have a different perspective on the avifauna when your visiting from a different country.

eBird helps of course!

We arrived just after dawn...after I'd managed a few more pics of the Thick-billed Kingbird on his favourite perch at the top of a tall tree...



A young lad was very helpful explaining the layout of the reserve and he gave me a leaflet. I made my way immediately to the river (riparian area) and started searching. The fact that it's a permanent water source is very much a novelty in the State as nearly all the others are bone dry...there's a lot of shade as well thanks to the magnificent Cottonwoods...


One species I was particularly hoping to find, was the Common Ground Dove. No particular reason, except that I hadn't seen any yet! This reserve was as good as anywhere and it turned up trumps...



I also had fun with a male Vermillion Flycatcher. This image came out strangely...but I like it...


Abert's Towhee was another addition...


I heard a now familiar noise from the Cottonwoods. Yet another Gray Hawk...


The common Red-tailed Hawk soared overhead...


Up close with a Rufous-winged Sparrow...


Another bird that's locally common but can be elusive is the Yellow-breasted Chat. I've always liked the look of this bird since I saw one at the Sam Nail Ranch in Big Bend, Texas. I was hoping to get a decent shot. I first saw them high up in the trees, located with the help of their distinctive call...you guessed it...chat!


Unfortunately that's as close as I got...for now. By 10am it was, what's the word...unbearable! Time to head for the hills again. I'd really enjoyed my 3 hours here, another wonderful location.

As we drove back towards the Paton's I heard the "chat" again. This time I was ready and using the car as a hide I managed some better pics...

Here's lookin at ya...


Love this posture...


Might be common...but it's a special bird to me...

No comments: