Monday 21 September 2015

S.E.Arizona (11)

31/7/2015

Late start today, I was starting to feel the pace and it is a holiday after all! We drove once again through the awesome Las Cienegas to Sierra Vista for lunch...Subway of course. Another species I really wanted to see was Scott's Oriole. Ash Canyon B&B is a reliable site for this bird. It also had the added attraction of Lucifer Hummingbird. They had just started to pass through the area.

We arrived mid-afternoon and took our seats in the shade around the feeders. Mary Joe came out to join us with her friend the African Grey...


While we were chatting the Parrot came out with the most unbelievable metallic noise. You would never have believed an animal could make such a sound! It was incredible. She told me that numbers of Hummers were down on previous years. There were a few around including a Lucifer/Costa'a hybrid which was ironic as I needed Costa's for my Arizona list (never did find one despite extensive searching!)

There were a few Anna's present...



She had 2 main feeding areas, so after a while I had a wonder down to the other site. This paid off eventually with brief but conclusive views of my Scott's Oriole...


Not the shot I was hoping for but interesting in it's own way I guess? This bird is extremely fast and only stays for a few seconds, grabbing food and disappearing, so I'm pleased I got anything at all really. A super species. Just love Orioles!

A dapper Acorn Woodpecker dropped in for a drink. This species has bundles of character with it's harlequin-like plumage...


I then move back to the first site as it was around the time (hopefully) for the Lucifer to appear. Unfortunately the light was starting to fade as it was approaching 6 pm. Then, there it was...

First a brief flight view...note the curved bill...


Then a perched one...


This species is annual but very local in S.E.Arizona with this site being as reliable as anywhere. We thanked Mary Joe for her hospitality and set off back to Green Valley.


No comments: