Monday 14 September 2015

S.E.Arizona (9)

Wed 29th July

I tried once again for the Rufous-capped Warbler. It was back to Pena Blanca Canyon at dawn. I like to think I'm pretty nifty at re-finding spots I've been to previously. Well this morning I found out I'm not as good as I thought I was!

I spent a good three hours in the Canyon trying to convince myself I was in the right spot (that spot being where we saw the Black-capped Gnatcatchers on my Big Day). I couldn't see anywhere that looked "right". Very frustrating and not helped by the fly invasion and increased humidity...apart from that it was fine.

The highlight of the visit came early on. I'd only gone a short distance when I heard the frog-like call. The canyon was very dark still at 6.50 am not helped by the thick tree cover. I followed the noise. Judging the distance of bird calls/songs can be difficult. Richard had told me that they are always closer than you think. With this in mind I moved very slowly over the dry stream bed. It was tough going avoiding the rocks and looking for the bird.

I then saw a silhouette...a very distinctive one...


Then a second bird...


...and finally a decent image, shame about the twig...


Heard far more than seen I was happy to get a decent view. It was only 7.05 am.

Another issue I need to sort out is a GPS device. They seem to be used frequently now in the States, (eBird sightings have them) and maybe here as well? It's just this dinosaur hasn't got round to updating yet. Having one on this morning would have put me in the right spot to try for the RCW.


No comments: