Monday 26 October 2015

A (much) better day

After getting the provisions from Tesco I took Bud down to his favourite field by the Gas Terminal for his constitutional. As I opened the car door I heard a familiar sound...Snow Bunting!! (P.145, S.120).

As usual I didn't have my camera set up and by the time I had the bird had flown across the road and landed on the terminal fence. Using the car as a hide I maneuvered into position and managed a few pics...




Like a number of other passerines it has a long claw on the hind toe which is well illustrated in these images. Come to think of it I don't think I've ever seen one on a wire before?

Always special to find your own.

Next it was down to see my mate Phil's new pad on Sandy Beaches caravan site. It was good to see him and after a chat we made the thankfully short walk to the sea. As we scanned 3 Red-breasted Mergansers (P.146, S.121) shot past south, extremely close-in!

As we walked back to his caravan news came over the radio of a report of a Pallas's Warbler (P.147, S.122)in the Canal Scrape car park. It was gone 2pm now and I had a few things to do at home. As I left the caravan park a further update informed me it was showing well. It would be rude not to! I joined the small group of admirers and enjoyed a wonderful time appreciating this eastern jewel in the afternoon sunshine. Typically active but quite showy on occasions. Far better views than I had on Tresco.

Below are a series of images, again of varying quality that hopefully give a feel of the bird's movements...an alternative view you might say...







Sometimes things just work out. Timing I guess...

Always special

No comments: