Friday 23 October 2015

AGP

My lifetime records are kept on my old computer...risky I know...but I've had issues transferring them to my new laptop. A consequence of age I guess! Old software doesn't like new hardware. It's obviously a deliberate ploy to get us to buy new stuff  but there's nothing that can be done. I did but the new version and managed to transfer my data to it (with considerable help from the programmer). However I just couldn't settle with it. The layout was poor and cheap looking. I'm sure it can do all sorts of wonderful things (including voice recognition) which frankly I don't need.

So, I'm staying loyal to the old programme...and laptop...and keeping my fingers crossed. I only use it briefly once a week or so to update my records so I'm hoping it's got a few more years in it yet?

Whilst updating the other day I realized that I hadn't seen American Golden Plover in the Spurn area. I'd tucked myself away most of the week doing exercises and static biking to try and improve my core strength I did 10K/500cal yesterday and never left the hall!! There are slight signs of improvement.

This morning I needed some fresh air so me and the boy went down to Kilnsea Wetlands to follow up on the latest report of the bird. I made my way to the hide and gave it 30 mins but there was no sign of the bird or any other plovers. I returned to the car and drove up to Long Bank and parked to give Bud some exercise while I scanned the surrounding fields. I picked up a small group of Lapwings drifting away down Easington straight which contained a smaller wader...


It looked promising.

By the time I'd got the car going they'd landed but they must have been fairly close by. It took me around 10 minutes to re-locate the flock at the far side of the field. The bird was extremely well camouflaged and the light was poor but the slim jizz of the bird was distinctive as it was in flight...


I was lucky to add this to my list as it had been around for quite a few days.

My Spurn life list now stands at 272 and I've added it to the tabs at the top of the Blog for quick reference. You may wish to take a peep?

Well the 23rd DID produce...

MEGA Shetland WHITE'S THRUSH Mainland at Gulberwick

A bit of a hike that one! Quite a coincidence on the day I added my Spurn list to Bubo as this awesome bird has surely got to be one of my best additions 10/10/2004. Handy too! 

2 comments:

branwell1 said...

Have you thought about getting an external hard drive to back up on to? Lots of memory, and very easy to use.

Alan Whitehead said...

Hi Richard, Cheers, I'll give it a try...