Thursday 31 December 2015

An amazing finish to the Year

I got a text from Gavin early afternoon to inform me he'd re-found a couple of Snow Buntings just north of the village. It was a clear, bright afternoon so I decided to take a look. I parked by the runnel and made my way to the clifftop.

I could see that Gavin was still there and within 5 minutes I'd joined him. He said he'd also seen a Stonechat but there was no sign of it. We made our way slowly North checking the ground carefully. Gavin then pointed just ahead..."there's one!" I couldn't see it! It took me a good 30 seconds to pick it out as it crept about like a mouse some 10 yds ahead. We soon lost it in the grass but eventually picked it up again on the edge of the cliff.

Fortunately the sun had broken through again...

H.90
A very nice late addition to the village year list. During our chat I mentioned the recent Shag passage at Spurn with some birds landing near the sea-watching hut. Maybe there was a (slim) chance of another late addition. After all, I still had an hour's daylight! I left Gavin at the runnel and turned inland after wishing him a Happy New Year. Not 5 minutes later I received a text from him "3 Shags have just flown south".

Bit of a sickener.

I had to go back to the Cottage as Louise had computer issues. I picked Bud up and headed for Out Newton. There was still time I arrived around 3.10 and started to scan in between ball throws. The light was fading fast.

Here's the rub.

It's the last light of the year. Chance of a (no I'll resist) late addition. A Shag, no big deal, although not THAT regular.

For me it's not necessarily the look or the rarity...it's the circumstances...AND THIS CIRCUMSTANCE WAS EXCEPTIONAL. Long odds indeed.

Along the water's edge it came, a solitary bird, turning onto the beach in front of me...amazing...

H.92, P160
...before continuing south...


These are the best moments in Birding IMHO.

Happy New Year...

No comments: