Sunday 6 December 2015

Cyprus - Day 3

Started the day back at Lower Ezousas Pools hoping for a Bluethroat...it wasn't to be. I don't have much luck with this species. I DID however have stunning views of a Moustached Warbler...even though it was pre-dawn...

Taken at 7.05am
A couple of Water Rials also visited the puddle...


Next it was back for Breakfast then down to Paphos Headland to try for the Greater Sand Plover. The headland was bigger then I anticipated and I struggled to be honest. I did make it to the prime site but all I could see were around 50 Golden Plover and a Common Sandpiper...



Time to treat Louise to a nice lunch as a continuing thank you for putting up with my exploits! Paphos is VERY impressive. Lots of nice waterfront bars and restaurants. The blanket BLUE sky helps as well. After an extended lunch (very nice chicken kebabs) I tried to navigate Anarita Park (another Finsch's Wheatear site) but it wasn't clear to me which track to take so we abandoned our attempt and moved on to Aspro' Dam. I was hoping for a raptor or two but it wasn't to be. There was little else around but I did manage a pic of this Sardinian Warbler that showed itself briefly...


To finish I returned to L.E. Pools (puddle) to try again for Bluethroat but again there was no sign.

Heading North up the peninsular tomorrow to try for Cyprus Warbler, Bonelli's Eagle and Long-legged Buzzard. Firstly though, I'll be back on Paphos headland searching for the star Plover...

No comments: