Wednesday 6 January 2016

The numbers game

You may have noticed...I like a list! Most of us do to be honest. I've updated for 16.

I had a leisurely drive round some of my main areas today. Unfortunately the light was even worse than yesterday. High humidity, with poor visibility for most of the day.

An hour's seawatch produced just a couple of Common Scoter and a single Pinkfoot was a nice find on Easington straight.

My garden Tree Sparrows never showed up at lunchtime but I found the encouragingly large flock (c50) at Out Newton...


Most photos taken today were a victim of the poor light. I saw lots of Fieldfares...


and a decent number of Redwings...


A male Marsh Harrier soared high through the gloom...


Followed shortly afterwards by a Buzzard...


The last hour was spent down at Stone Creek. I decided to park over the drain on a concrete bridge so I wouldn't be disturbed on the single track road.There was no sign of any Owls or Raptors tonight. It was virtually dark by now as I gave Bud a final blast in the flooded field. Cleaned him up a treat! As I was lifting the tailgate to let him back into the car I was wondering if there could be a late addition to my Year list. Maybe a Hen Harrier? I then heard a noise. I looked along the drain.

Guess what I saw at 3.50?


Yet another reason why I love this pastime.

I've seen 56 sp so far (can be viewed on Bubo), 47 today. Some species, like the above, I wouldn't have expected to connect with so soon.

No comments: