Thursday 4 February 2016

CYPRUS 2016 - Day 6

I don't like failing to find a site. On Sunday we'd toured some sites at the East of the island and (as already stated) I'd failed to find Cape Greco. On reflection I'd got confused (happens with increasing regularity these days) with signs for the caves in the area.

A quick look on Google maps cleared things up nicely. So when news broke of 3 TRUMPETER FINCHES and a ROCK SPARROW having been found on...yes Sunday!...I decided to have a go on my last morning (Tuesday).

It took me an hour to get there, fortunately finding my way in the dark to the correct spot. I tried the cliff top first. There were quite a few Song Thrushes flitting about in the half light...


I continued to the cliff top...


but there wasn't much doing. The best sightings were of Chukars...


I'd been given directions by Colin Richardson to another spot along the foot of the south facing cliffs
and I managed to find it easily in the now, bright sunshine. As I pulled up at the base of the cliff I could see a bird perched near the top. From it's jizz I was sure it was a Blue Rock Thrush. It allowed me a closer inspection...


It was now around 9 and I made my way around the headland, it was a beautiful day...


I could see a few Black Redstarts including a cracking adult male. Unfortunately he wouldn't play ball and I couldn't get a good pic but I managed a couple of record shots...



...one more bird...


There was no sign of any rares...unfortunately. It was nearly time to leave. As I approached the car I saw another/the same Blue Rock Thrush fly down to the waters edge. I then noticed another bird pop up onto a rock then quickly disappear. This happens a lot!

Fortunately I re-found it briefly and fired off a few shots. Then it was gone.

Female Finsch's Wheatear...


So, that's it!

I'll do a summary tomorrow...




No comments: