Tuesday 22 March 2016

Texas 16 - Back for more

21st March

Yesterday morning was spent at the Hawk Watch at Bentson. I arrived at the car park at 7.45. The visitor centre opens at 8 so I stuck 5 dollars in the envelope like a good lad and started to walk over the levee. The first bird I saw on the pipe over the channel was this…

Muscovy Duck - not the prettiest!
Unfortunately it’s not a true wild bird as feral birds and all sorts in between occur. The wild birds are further west up the river.

I bumped into a member of staff as I sorted my envelope out. I asked how far it was to the Hawk Tower. “About a mile!” she informed me. I’d already done half a mile so I had a decision to make, especially as I was carrying my scope. I’d come a long way to try for Hook-billed Kite photos…so onward! Thankfully the temperature was in the low 60’s. I arrived at the tower around 8.40. I was alone.

It’s an amazing structure (like most things in the States). They don’t do things by halves! 

scope in the distance!
Turkey Vultures were already starting to lift from their roost...


I took up my position trying to look like I knew what I was doing...


Around 9 I was joined by the resident expert John Kaye. Nice bloke. He had a couple with him and their three children. The older lad was keen and knowledgeable but the two young girls weren’t. Thankfully they amused each other further down the ramp.

Birds started to appear…

No Hook-billed Kite unfortunately but 2.5 hours of quality raptor watching.

c4000 Turkey Vultures!
c40 Black Vultures
10 Swainson's Hawks
3 Gray Hawks including an immature in a dead tree...


Broad-winged Hawk
3 Crested Caracaras
2 Ospreys

No luck with the HBK. There had been a sighting last Tuesday morning. Glad I had a go though. The walk back to the car was a killer but I eventually made it. The pain was eased by this Great Kiskadee near the feeding station...


After lunch we returned to the visitor centre and I tried once again for Black-throated Gray Warbler. I gave it a couple of hours but no luck. The Plain Chachalacas were sunning them selves on the path Thankfully they quieten down after their morning chorus!


I also found a Black Pheobe on "the pipe" over the channel...


This was the view down Bentson Palm Drive as we left...


Pretty good!

As you can see the weather was wonderful. Low 70's and a cloudless big blue Texas sky. I decided to re-visit the Yellow-headed Blackbird site. It's just one of those species for me.

We couldn't find any for 30 minutes among the countless Red-winged Blackbirds and Grackles. I then noticed some Yellow in a lone tree behind the factory fence...


They were buried in the tree in deep shade. Frustrating because the sun was still strong at 6pm. Louise read her novel and I waited. Eventually I got lucky...


Does it for me.

Birders rightly use the word context. This bird is a common Prairie species but a scarce winter bird in Texas. I don't see many in Holmpton!

No comments: