Sunday 20 March 2016

Texas 16 - Tree study!

I spent the morning looking for a Black-throated Gray Warbler at Anzalduas Park west of McAllen on the Mexican border. I gave it all morning but no luck. Plenty of trees to look through...but no BTGW

The live oaks are spectacular...


We had lunch in Starbucks before heading North to Delta Lake Park to  try for another Texas tick in the form of Golden-crowned Kinglet. No luck again despite eBird reporting sightings yesterday. We had a relaxing afternoon by the lake though and some smart birds were observed. This was the habitat I was working. I now definitely know what an Ebony Tree looks like...


Green Heron...


Black-bellied Whistling Ducks...


Love those long legs!

Not all smart though!

Black Vulture...


This specimen landed on the telegraph pole right above our car and stayed there for 20 minutes totally unconcerned.

It was now 5pm and I wanted to try one more spot before dusk. The site was the Progresso Grain Silos south of Weslaco. I'd spared Louise the less salubrious locations until know but she drove me down there without a problem.

We arrived at 6 but the light was poor now as the clouds had rolled in. 30F cooler than yesterday! 

The target?

No tick involved here...just a better view desired of an unusual species. One I've always wanted a better look at. There were thousands of Grackles and red-winged Blackbirds feeding on the spilt grain. The bird I was after should stand out even in the half light. Louise beat me to it when she exclaimed..."there's one"


A fabulous male Yellow-headed Blackbird! Much bigger than the RWB at 11 inches. Something special about this species for me. I'll try to return before we leave the area to photograph it/them in better light.

I'm off to the world famous Bentson reserve tomorrow morning. One of many fabulous reserves in the RGV.

Couldn't resist one more front on...


Stay tuned...

No comments: