Tuesday 26 April 2016

Be thankful for what you get!

Another day...another dog walk. No matter what the weather it has to be done. It MAKES me go out...Birding!

After blowing the cobwebs (and most other things) away on Easington clifftop I moved on down to Canal Scrape. I decided to take some shelter from the cutting wind along Big Hedge. It's always, worth a look.
 
I noticed a group of Whimbrel (16) feeding distantly in the adjacent Holderness field. Unfortunately as I started to walk the path they had disappeared! I could still hear birds calling and I picked a few up circling high. Fortunately they some came close enough for a pic...
 
 
Always good to see and refresh ID!
 
The wind was cutting so I stayed behind the not so Big hedge. A Wheatear made a brief appearance...hardly surprising! A Dunnock stayed a touch longer...
 
Under-rated and overlooked
I then noticed a small bird trying to balance on the fence some 30m away. First impressions were Meadow Pipit but when I raised my glasses I was looking at a superb male Whinchat (P.118, S.94)...
 
 
It seemed to be feeding on caterpillars as it popped up and down from the fence. I decided to brave the elements and walk to the seaside path hoping for a better view. Typically the bird had disappeared, probably to shelter! I gave it a while longer and was rewarded with this view... 
 
 
Thanks Bud!
 

No comments: