Saturday 30 April 2016

Long Bank

We had a lovely walk in the sunshine along Long Bank this morning. Inadvertently we flushed a couple of Short-eared Owls. Here's the obligatory disappearing bird...
 


 
Onward to Sammy's Point!
 
The sun was behind me so I could scan the area and get clear views. Nothing unusual was apparent initially then things picked up. Ring Ouzels have been present for a while now....same or different birds. Who knows? For what it's worth I reckon they could be the same birds hanging around due to the north winds we've had.
 
They can be very elusive and mobile but on occasions will perch up in the bushes...
 
A fleeting glimpse of one sunning itself in the hedge
I then picked a second bird up further along...
 
 
Extremely fortunate to see these birds. I even heard them calling. My last view was much closer but unfortunately it was directly into the sun...
 
 
Still, a great session.
 
On returning to the car I saw Mick Turton approaching. Nice to have a decent chat with him. He told me he was going to Scilly this Autumn. I hope to be there too. It will depend on how well the Op goes?
 
As we were chatting news came over the radio of a RAVEN!!! A potential Spurn tick for yours truly. We eventually picked it up (P.120, S.96) with some Crows although it was very distant. Just as I was about to leave Phil turned up and so did a Peregrine...
 
 
A great morning.
 
Blow the wind SOUTHERLY!!!
 

No comments: